Saturday, May 16, 2015

Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken

This recipe is a little exciting for us because it's the first one I cooked on our grill this year, and the first time I've used the grill since we bought our house late last summer!  It did not disappoint.  If you like honey mustard at all, you will enjoy this.  Neither my husband nor I are particularly crazy about honey mustard, and we really enjoyed it.  My husband said it was excellent and I liked it, too.  It's one I'll make again for sure and I'd like to try baking it.  The extra dipping sauce would also probably be really good on chicken nuggets.

I found this recipe on AllRecipes.  My only changes were to sprinkle some salt on the chicken, use Worcestershire sauce instead of steak sauce, and I made more of the sauce so we could have some for dipping.

Quick Note:  If your chicken breasts are very thick, you may want to cut them down the middle so they're thinner and will cook through without the outside getting too done.  I know my chicken in the picture is a little more done on the outside than is preferable, I've only grilled chicken a couple of times in the past and am still getting used to our rather lousy grill!


Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (see note above)
salt to taste
1/2 C dijon mustard
1/4 C plus 2 Tbsp honey (this is 6 Tbsp altogether)
1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp mayo
 
Lightly sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with salt and place in a gallon sized zipper plastic bag.  Whisk together remaining ingredients until smooth.  Pour 1/2 C into a small bowl to use for basting later, and 1/3 C into another bowl to use as a dipping sauce when serving.  Pour the remaining sauce into the bag with the chicken, seal the bag, and squish the chicken around so it's evenly coated in the sauce.  Refrigerate the chicken until you're ready to cook it (about 8 hours is good) and periodically squish the chicken around in the bag to make sure it's all coated well.

When you're ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium and oil the grate.  Arrange chicken pieces on grill, let cook for a few minutes without touching them, then turn the chicken and grill on the other side for a few minutes.  After the chicken is opaque on the outside, you can begin to baste it periodically with the reserved basting sauce.  Continue to grill and turn chicken pieces until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of one of the pieces registers 165 degrees.  Remove chicken from the grill and let it rest for a couple of minutes, then serve with the reserved dipping sauce.

Yield: 6 servings

1 comment: