Monday, March 19, 2012

Slow Cooker Corned Beef

Mmm, corned beef! I bought one in honor of St. Patrick's Day, but we ended up going to a Mexican restaurant. Not Irish at all, but apparently corned beef is more of an American thing, so whatevs. Today I did cook it though and used my slow cooker, which is my cooking vessel of choice for corned beef. I added a pound of chopped carrots which tasted great, but you could add potatoes and cabbage like this particular recipe suggests. NOTE: I have never cooked potatoes or cabbage with the corned beef, so no promises on how they turn out!

optional: 1 lb carrots and/or 1-2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped roughly
1/2 large onion, chopped roughly
3 lb corned beef brisket with spice packet
12 oz bottle of beer
water to cover
optional: 1/2 head cabbage, chopped roughly

Place carrots and/or potatoes in the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker and top with onion and beef. Sprinkle with spice packet. Pour in beer. Pour in enough water to cover the corned beef. Cook on low until tender, about 8 hours. If you want to add cabbage, stir that in when you have 1 hour left.

Yield: about 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment