Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cheddar Onion Soda Bread

This is a very good but very nontraditional soda bread that uses green onion and cheddar cheese and baking powder (which contains baking soda) instead of baking soda. I just realized that it's rather similar to the Buttermilk Cheddar Chive Bread recipe I posted a few months ago, but what can I say? My tastes are predictable :D This particular recipe is a version of one from AllRecipes. I made it for St. Patrick's Day last year and don't have a photo (you probably wouldn't want to see a photo as I dyed it green with food coloring), but I wanted to share it before the big green day in case anyone's looking for a fun and delicious soda bread recipe. It's tasty enough that you'll want to make it the rest of the year as well!

Cheddar Onion Soda Bread

4 C flour
1 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 1/2 t salt
6 T butter at room temperature
1 1/2 C buttermilk
1/3 C sliced green onions
3/4 C cheddar cheese diced into small cubes

Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, then stir in butter and buttermilk just until a dough forms. Don't overwork the dough. Gently knead in the green onions and cheddar cubes until evenly distributed, then divide the dough into two balls. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet and flatten each into a 2 inch tall round loaf. Cut an X into the top of each loaf. Bake until golden and cooked through (you can stick a toothpick in the center), about 30 minutes. Cool before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! Interesting that it is called Soda Bread and has none. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, goofy, isn't it?! Of course baking powder contains baking soda so it is technically in there (cool link about baking powder vs baking soda: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm). I'd imagine you could use baking soda instead since the buttermilk has the acid necessary to activate the baking soda. Next time I make this I will try it with baking soda!

      Delete