Sunday, December 18, 2011

Yummy Vegan Pancakes

There are some foods that I've tried many recipes for, trying to find exactly one that's exactly what I want. Pancakes is one of those foods. Over the years I've probably tried at least 10 recipes before I finally made up my own! I figured out that my issues with most pancake recipes are 1) they're too eggy and 2) they don't have enough salt. So the recipe I made up is eggless and has enough salt to give them a nice flavor all on their own. The recipe can also easily be made vegan by using juice instead of milk. I've had success with basically every fruit juice you can imagine and you should probably know that raspberry juice equals purple pancakes! You can also adjust the amount of liquid for how thick or thin you like your pancakes. My dude likes them on the thinner side so I use 1 1/4 cup of milk, but about a cup and 2 tablespoons will give you normal thickness pancakes.

I'd also like to note that I have a very thin spatula that is perfect for flipping pancakes. A lot of spatulas are quite thick and could mangle your innocent little pancake. Here's the one that I have, I love it to bits because it's the perfect spatula for everything! I'm a little confused because it has some terrible reviews that say it melts really easily but I've had my red one for 5 years and it still looks new even though it's the only spatula I own.

Enjoy!

Update:  These are no longer our favorite pancakes.  They're still good, and we make them if we're out of eggs, but our favorite by far is the basic pancake recipe from Cinnamon Roll Pancakes.


Vegan Pancakes

1 C flour
1 T sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 cup plus 2-4 tablespoons juice (can use almond milk, or cow milk but it won't be vegan)

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Whisk in enough milk so that the batter is as thick as you'd like. Keep in mind it will thicken slightly as it sits. Heat a skillet over medium heat (or turn on your griddle) and spray with no stick spray or swipe on a little bit of butter. Pour some batter into the pan and make a pancake in whatever size you desire. When bubbles appear on the pancake and the edges are dry, give it a flip! Cook for another minute or so on the other side, until the bottom is lightly browned. Remove to a plate and keep warm in a 200 degree oven while you make the rest of the pancakes.

Yield: 6 good sized pancakes, enough for 2-3 people

2 comments:

  1. Dang, no "no stick spray" down here in my country... main reason why I never prepare pancakes.. last time I tried, it was a disaster..! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian, just use a little butter or a tiny bit of oil! You really should give them a try :D The banana cake turned out for you so I think the pancakes would, too.

    ReplyDelete